Students can expect Rutgers Health Services staff to be sensitive and knowledgeable about Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Questioning (LGBTQ) students’ medical issues, and to provide appropriate screening, literature, treatment, and/or referrals for specific inquiries. We strive to offer an environment that encourages students to seek healthcare in an environment that is inclusive and supportive of diversity in the areas of sexual orientation and gender identity/expression.
Call the appointment line: 848-932-7402 to schedule an appointment or click here to use our online scheduling tool.
The Rutgers/UnitedHealthcare StudentResources Insurance coverage for 2013-2014 School year has enhanced benefits for those seeking more information about transition-related services (SRS)*
Standard plans include coverage for the following services:
- Continuous hormone replacement therapy (HRT)
- Laboratory testing to monitor hormone therapy
- Genital Reconstruction Surgery
- Chest reduction surgery
- Surgery to change specified secondary sex characteristics
Eligibility qualifications must be met for surgical treatment, including but not limited to:
- Meeting diagnostic criteria for gender identity dysphoria
- 18 or older for irreversible surgical interventions
- 12 months of successful continuous full time real life experience in the desired gender
- Treatment plan conforming to the World Professional Association for Transgender Health Association (WPATH) standards
Certain treatments are not covered, including:
- Reversal of sex transformation surgery
- Fertility preservation
- Cosmetic procedures and treatment
*This overview provides assistance in interpreting certain standard UnitedHealthcare benefit plans. It is not designed to be a guarantee of benefits. It is based on the Coverage Determination Guideline available on www.unitedhealthcareonline.com which will be applied in its entirety.